Can You Overdose on Alcohol?

Answering the Question: Can You Overdose on Alcohol?

Can you overdose on alcohol? The simple answer is yes. Drinking, in and of itself, may be dangerous because you may behave in a dangerous fashion once you are inebriated. For example, you might drive yourself home when you are wasted which could end up in vehicular manslaughter or death. Overdose is common among those who drink excessively. Alcohol poisoning is very real and can result in death. If you are wondering, "can you overdose on alcohol?" call alcohol treatment centers Baltimore at (877) 804-1531 to locate a rehab facility today.

Can You Overdose on Alcohol?

Alcohol is a legal substance in the United States. You must be twenty-one years old to purchase and consume it legally. Since alcohol is found almost everywhere and is commonly served at parties and other events, it is more or less socially acceptable. Some people, however, drink to excess at every gathering and maybe even several times during the week. This is dangerous and can lead to addiction.

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism says that moderate drinking is defined as one drink per day for women and two for men. Drinking in excess can cause overdose. Every overdose does not end in death as it varies by the situation. Certain things can influence whether you will overdose or not such as your age, gender, ethnicity, drinking experience, and amount of food eaten that day.

Age seems to have a serious influence on whether someone will overdose will occur. Research has shown that those under the age of twenty will drink five drinks in one sitting. This will seriously impair brain function. As your blood alcohol level rises, so do your risks for getting hurt. Can you overdose on alcohol? Yes. The more you drink, the higher your risk gets. Your risk for injury from falling over, or driving impaired can also kill you.

One you reach a certain blood alcohol level, you will experience amnesia. This is what the professionals call an alcoholic blackout or blackout drinking.

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning

When one drinks despite signs that they are super wasted, they may suffer alcohol poisoning – which is may be deadly. Signs of alcohol poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Low body temperature, pale skin, and bluish skin
  • Confusion, stupor, or inability to wake up
  • Irregular breathing (at least ten second between breaths)
  • Seizures
  • Slow breathing (less than eight breaths per minute)

If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, here is what you should do.

  • Call 911 for help.
  • Know the danger signs (above).
  • Know that if someone has passed out, they may die.
  • Do not wait for all symptoms to present before calling 911.

When there is too much alcohol in the blood stream that the areas of the brain that control life-support functions begin to shut down, alcohol poisoning occurs. The person will have difficulty staying conscious, clammy skin, and no gag reflex. The gag reflex is an issue if the person is unconscious and vomits on themselves as they may choke on the puke (since they have no gag reflex) and die.

Just because someone is unconscious does not mean their blood alcohol level stays the same. It keeps rising and circulating throughout the bloodstream. When someone becomes unconscious, you should not assume they are good to sleep it off. If someone with alcohol poisoning does not get help, the following may occur:

  • Severe dehydration from throwing up, which can lead to seizures, end with permanent brain damage or death.
  • Low body temperature.
  • Hypoglycemia which may lead to seizures.
  • Breathing that is slow or has stopped.
  • Choking on their own puke.

Do not become a statistic. Get help for your blackout drinking before alcohol claims your life. If you are still wondering, "can you overdose on alcohol?" or "what is an alcoholic blackout?" call alcohol treatment centers Baltimore at (877) 804-1531; to review your treatment options.





Get Started on The Journey To Recovery Today!
Call Now (877) 804-1531